CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Fresh Meat

Lily pretending to take a bite of her mom's delicious burger

Two weekends ago, Jeff, Lily and I made the short hike to our local organic farm to take a tour with Lily and pick up some fresh organic meat. Unfortunately, Lily fell asleep on the ride there so the tour was not going to be part of this trip, but it was an adventure nonetheless. Driving two miles past Carlock, we pulled off at the big Wettstein's sign and drove the long gravel path up to the house. Along the way we saw chickens running about, and we were startled when they ran right in front of our car. Now that is what I call free range. Next to the small house we could see a goat and more chickens, as well as some cattle in the distance. Jeff stayed in the car with our sleeping baby while I went up to the house. I really wasn't sure what I was going to buy, and when I went in I was more than overwhelmed with how much they had to offer. I knew that I wanted to get some steaks and hamburgers, as I had heard rave reviews. So I had Mrs. Wettstein (at least that's who I'm assuming it was) start loading me up with hamburger patties and a few steaks. Once I was satisfied that I had enough for us (and my dad, who had paid me to pick some up for him too), I paid her and we were on our way. She inserted a menu of all the different meats they had to offer, and again I was surprised by the selection. Everything from chicken to lamb to pork. So how did it taste in comparison to the not-so-organic-or-fresh stuff we usually get? Oh my gosh...it was so good. Jeff and my dad could not stop raving about the burgers. We haven't tried out the steaks yet, but I am sure they will be great too.

If you decide to take a trip out there, make sure you call ahead. On Saturdays some of the members of the family go up to Chicago to sell at the farmer's market. So if you plan to visit on the weekend, make sure to call and have them hold back a few steaks for you.

Dennis and Emily Wettstein RR # 1 — Carlock, (309) 376-7291. Drive through Carlock and you will see the sign on the right hand of the road about two miles up. We, of course, thought we had gone too far and missed it...so the first time we turned around about 300 yards from the entrance. Take it from me...drive the extra two miles through Carlock...it's well worth it.

0 comments: